Thursday, June 14, 2007

Three Weeks

There are 3 weeks until the 4th of July...and so 3 weeks until the Peachtree Road Race. I've made the decision to walk in the race and today, my race number came in the mail! Exciting! A beautiful purple number that will be pinned to my shirt to "qualify" me for one of the coveted road race shirts...that is, of course, if I finish the race! My number? 92092, something that I might be able to remember! I'm amongst the last 9900 in the race since I entered as a walker. The instructions are quite clear about where to go that morning and the one I laughed at was that everyone was to try to finish within an hour and a half. Well, that's all well and good if I can keep up my pace. My 10K for today was 92 minutes...averages out to a 15 minute mile. I don't seem to be able to consistently push myself to average faster than 15 minute mile, and I'm so concerned with not injuring my back that I don't want to chance running at this point.

Hopefully I can keep up the pace and at least not slow down!!!!!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

A 15 minute mile is an extremely fast walk! I hate walking that fast- which is why I must prefer running. haha! To me it is easier to run slow than to walk fast. It is soooo hard to maintain that kind of pace so if you can make it that fast, you'll be doing great I think! Is the Peachtree Race a 10k?

Patti said...

Yes, the race is a 10K- my concern is that there are some hills that will surely slow me down. I think it goes from Lennox Mall down Peachtree Road to 10th street and into Piedmont park. Maybe a 15 min/mile pace is good, I don't really have anything to judge a walking pace against!

Rebecca said...

My mom used to "power-walk" a lot and that was the fastest she was ever able to go and in my college PE class the teacher said that 15 minute miles was about as fast as a person can walk, so yes- that's a great walking pace! Once you get into lower than 15 minute miles you're talking about a jogging/running pace.