Sunday, June 24, 2007

Sad Day

Today, the life of Thomas Brown was celebrated at a memorial service at church. Thomas was 17, active in the youth group, an upcoming leader, someone who always made people smile. While I did not know him too well as a young man, I watched him grow up as the son of Angela and Dale and brother of Kathryn and Elizabeth who were more the ages of Steven and Thomas. What happened this week to Thomas, could have happened to anyone, but it hit home as it could have been any one of my children as well. "Children shouldn't pass away before their parents", they say.

The church was packed- youth filled one side of the church with other friends and family completely filling the rest of the church. After the children were older, Angela became a teacher in Gwinnett, working at Rock Springs Elementary. Many of the parents and teachers from the school were there.

Davis gave the eulogy from which I brought home things to think about:

- Thomas was on his way to the campground to be a youth leader for LAP and although God did not cause the accident, He was there to welcome him into His house. Answer God's call in your life so he will be waiting for you when it's time.

- Thomas loved everyone, made everyone feel welcome and he did not play favorites with the youth or his friends. Davis made a point of saying that he learned that love from his parents and family- a loving family encouraging him to grow into a fine, loving, God-loving, young man. What have my children learned about love from my life? I'm concerned about that with all that has transpired over the past 2-3 years.

- Thomas was the same on Monday as he was on Sunday- He lived a life loving Jesus whether he was at school, at home, with friends, or on his own. Do you? Do I?

Text for today: I Corinthians 13
1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears.

It is my hope and prayer that my children and family know love- and truly know how much I love you all- and although my life, and therefore yours, has not taken the path I "planned", I have to rely on God and believe that his plan for my life can handle the curves that it has taken. Please understand that anything I say, question or comment on concerning your lives (past, present, or future) is only done with love, care and concern.

I truly hope that God's plan does not include my losing a child, especially when they are young and discovering the plan God is revealing for their lives.

There's more that I am thinking about, but I don't need to continue with the sadness and how it filters into other aspects of my life.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

That is incredibly sad and I too hope to never experience the loss of a child. I cannot imagine.

Interestingly enough, one of the texts read during our Sunday School class this morning was 1st Cor. 13. In the context of our lesson it was very poignant and had quite the impact on both Steven and myself. We had a good conversation about it after church this afternoon.

There are so many applications to all parts of our lives and yes- it also brings up sad thoughts- we talked about the many aspects of that as well.

It's strange how often I hear that passage and don't even think about it. I hear it almost every single Saturday at so many weddings. The girls and I usually roll our eyes at each other and label it just another "First Corinthians wedding" because it's just another one of those wedding cliches that we sometimes find tiring.

But now I'm not so sure I'll feel the same way. It really is a powerful passage and just demands more attention, thought, and respect than that. It is, after all, the Word of God!