Sunday, April 15, 2007

Gardener, Health Enthusiast, and Expert Squirrel Catcher!

It's been awhile since I posted, and it's been suggested that to have a blog, it must be updated : ) !

I'm quite pleased with how the front yard has turned out, I worked more outside yesterday and, with the help of the tall ladder, I trimmed some of the RiverBirch in hopes of letting the sun get to the areas where I'd like the grass to grow. There was more to be trimmed, but, alas, the wobbly ladder and my fear of heights would not let me ascend to the upper reaches of these high branches! Now if the sun would come out, I'd know how well my efforts worked.

Today I joined the new LA Fitness that is scheduled to open May 1st. It is being built 2 miles from the house, and GCPS Employees get discounted enrollment fees. It's a huge new facility with a pool, excersize machines (of course), many classes, sauna, hot tub, and, well it's new! The back road (old GA 20) will go right to the shopping center where the club will be so I'm hoping that getting there will be easier when traffic is heavy. Now, I just have to make myself go. I'll have a session with a personal trainer to make sure I know what to use and how and then I'll be set. In the mean time, I have a pass to use the club at 120/Sugarloaf if I'd like to get started before May 1st.

I'll be going to Boone this week to hear a couple of Susanna's concerts and also to be there when she is inducted in honor society. Mom/dad will be going as well so that should be fun!

Oh, highlight of my weekend! I caught a squirrel and have already taken it 3 miles or so away and let it go! We, at times, have had squirrels in the attic. I thought they had been removed, but evidently one of the trees has grown an "access" branch or two and they have rediscovered the warmth of the attic. Anyway... the trap was set with a yummy peanut butter sandwich and after church today, I heard much noise and discovered a squirrel in the trap. So, I carefully brought the trap down and drove it away! I put Jesse in his bed as I figured he would rather have his turn playing with the squirrel and I'm not ready to see what he does if he ever catches a squirrel...oh my...what's that noise??? Yes, I have now caught another squirrel in the trap. Looks like I'll be taking another trip out tonight! I guess the cold has brought them in looking for easy food...Well I needed to get some groceries anyway, now I guess I'll have to be sure to put peanut butter on the list as well! What an adventure life can be! Wonder if I should spray paint this critter to see if he finds his way back home????

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Are you catching them IN the attic or somewhere outside? My parents have been catching squirrels too and they cart them out to the country to let them go. I always tease Mom that they probably follow them back home after being dropped off! (Though that is probably unlikely...) Spray painting could make for an interesting experiment though!

Patti said...

I set a trap in the attic- that's where I catch them. And as an update, 12:30am there was another one in the trap...that makes THREE! He's in the trap on the back porch waiting for me to get home and take him away. I'll try to make sure that I let mine go far enough away from my and your parent's house so we aren't just trading squirrels! I am seriously considering the paint, now!